Monday, June 4, 2012

Self-Awareness Test


Today, I sent the list of top 20 flaws or bad habits discussed in last week's blog post  to approximately 25 of my colleagues, clients, friends and family.   I asked them to send what they believe to be my two biggest flaws to a friend and colleague of mine to compile.  

Before I see what they said,  I am posting here what I believe they will say as a way to test my self-awareness.    Tomorrow I'll post the results and write about my self-awareness or lack thereof! Stay tuned....

I think my top 2-3 flaws will be one of these 4: 
  1. Adding too much value:  The overwhelming desire to add our two cents to every discussion.
  2. Passing Judgement: The need to rate others and impose our standards on them.
  3. Telling the world how smart we are: The need to show people we're smarter than they think we are. 
  4. Not listening: The most passive –aggressive form of disrespect for colleagues.
And maybe this one....
  1. Withholding information: The refusal to share information in order to maintain an advantage over others.
I'm going to jump out on a limb even further and say that these items no one will report (in other words,  I don't think I'm guilty of these things): 
  1. Speaking when angry: Using emotional volatility as a management tool.
  2. Refusing to express regret: The inability to take responsibility for our actions, admit we're wrong, or recognize how our actions affect others. 
  3. Failing to express gratitude: The most basic form of bad manners.

I am also going to speculate that responses will be different based on my relationship with the person (whether friend, family, co-worker or client).  If my friend can break this down without giving up the anonymity of the person(s) submitting responses,  I will write about that as well tomorrow.

*All list of flaws are quoted directly from Marshall Goldsmith's What Got You Here Won't Get You There pp. 40-41


No comments:

Post a Comment